From my blog to your families, wishing you all a Very Merry Christmas.
May your homes be filled with the Joy of Christmas all year round.
I’m not really a baker though my mom could bake in her sleep it’s a gene I clearly didn’t get however, we did happen to make make these tasty diary free sugar cookies for Santa – the kids enjoyed helping, oh what mess we made 🙂
Super quick and easy – Even a non baker can make it !!!!
Recipe, preparations and pics below:
- 3/4 cup of vegetable shortening
- 1 cup of granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
How we threw it all together….
- Line Baking sheets with parchment or wax paper, then set aside
- In a bowl, mix shortening, sugar (white and brown), applesauce and vanilla extract all together – mix till its thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture to shortening mixture and mix on low till it’s all combined.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 1 hour or more
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness on floured board or counter.
- Cut out desired shapes and rub desired topping – I used Cinnamon Sugar – I make cinnamon sugar by adding an equal amount of brown sugar to ground cinnamon) – The kids love it with the cinnamon sugar topping.
- Put cut cookies in lined baking sheet and repeat. Put filled baking sheet in the oven and bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until light golden.
- Cool completely on the baking sheet.