Kids were longing for Mac-N-Cheese today, which is not something we eat a lot off mainly because I don’t really eat dairy and my son has a dairy allergy. As for me, I stay away from dairy because I’m a self diagnosed lactose intolerant-I just that know dairy doesn’t agree with my digestive system but I would eat it sparingly with my lactaid pill nearby. Anyway, enough about me, let me tell you more about this cheesy elbow goodness.
So here’s what it’s in it:
- 2 Cups of Elbow Macaroni
- 1 1/2 Cups of Daiya Shredded Cheddar Cheese – it’s dairy free-love it and it tastes like cheese
- 3 Tbsp of Vegan Butter
- 1/2 Cup of Frozen Corn and Lima beans – I prefer to use Peas in place of Lima beans but I didn’t have any at home.
- Snuck in a couple of Broccoli Stems- I shredded it – the kids did not notice it – big win.
- 3 Strips of Bacon (optional but my kids love bacon)
- 2 Tsp of Sea-Salt
- 1/2 Tsp of Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Tsp of Cilantro
- 1 Tsp of Ground Cayenne Pepper
Here’s how I made it:
- Bring 2-3 Quarts of water to boil
- While water is coming to a boil, put strips of bacon in a pan on medium heat and turning frequently for about 10 mins.
- When water, comes to boil, it took only about 5 mins, add elbow macaroni, salt and vegetables to pot, stir and cook uncovered for 3 mins.
- While the macaroni is cooking, go back and check the bacon which should be about done, don’t make it crispy. Turn down the heat to the lowest and let it simmer.
- Drain cooked macaroni from pot using a coriander then pour it back in the pot, add garlic, cilantro, cayenne pepper (optional), butter, cheese and the cut up the bacon into the pot and stir until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed in and cheese has been fully melted.
- Serve and enjoy